Friends of the Flag
Since 1964, Point Loma Optimist Club members have produced the patriotic display of American flags along Rosecrans Street in Point Loma. The Flag Program began with just a few flags distributed from members’ vehicles, but has grown over the past forty (40) years. The Flag Program now operates a specialized vehicle for distributing over one hundred sixty (160) flags that line both sides of Rosecrans Street, along a two-mile stretch from Lytton to Talbot. The display happens every Sunday and on most holidays.
Although the Flag Program is a major Point Loma Optimist function, it also raises money to benefit the Point Loma and Ocean Beach youth activities including:
- Sports programs including, but not limited to, the Peninsula Little League, Peninsula YMCA Youth Basketball Program, Peninsula Youth Softball (Bobby Sox), Point Loma Little League, Peninsula Soccer League, PLHS Women’s soccer and the PLHS Women’s Golf Team and other programs including the Peninsula Wind Ensemble and Eagle Scout projects.
- The Point Loma Optimists sponsored oratorical and essay contests for our local youth.
- The PLHS Grad Night.
- Peninsula Family YMCA.
- The Point Loma Library.
- The Ocean Beach Elementary School Sea Camp.
- The PLHS Baseball Boosters.
- Finally, the Point Loma Optimists award three $3000 to $4000 college scholarships annually to three PLHS graduating seniors.
The Point Loma Optimists are proud of the Flag Program that promotes patriotism and shows appreciation of the military. Each member contributes financially and must volunteer dozens of hours each year putting up and taking down the flags. Moreover, the Optimists are now integrating community youth into the Flag Program by having them help to put out and take down the flags each week, thereby promoting a more keen sense of history and contribution by our military to our great society.
The Point Loma Optimists want to continue the Flag Program, but it needs your help in continuing to expand it to involve more youth, to refurbish older flags, and to maintain the vehicle for future use. We are therefore offering individuals and corporations an opportunity to become financial partners with the Point Loma Optimist Club Flag Program.
Your monetary participation will assist the Optimists in continuing its mission. Your contribution is totally tax-deductible in that the Optimist Club Foundation of Point Loma is a IRC 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. This is truly a great opportunity to become part of a Point Loma legacy, while promoting your support at your home or place of business. Thank you for your consideration.
To find out more information